Asda's egg took the ultimate prize because of its "thick, rich, delicious chocolate", and the experts decided that it's size makes it perfect for sharing and it has a deliciously smooth and glossy finish.
Good Housekeeping Consumer Editor, Caroline Bloor says of the overall winning egg,"We think the Asda egg is a deserving winner, proving that a cheaper egg can not only taste delicious but is excellent overall value.
"The variety of Easter eggs available in 2012 is fantastic but spending more does not guarantee good value or great taste which is why our annual GHI Great Easter Egg Awards will help you match the best egg for a loved one."
The Best for Grown-Ups category was won by Marks & Spencer's Luxury Egg Nest priced at £15, which scored 63/100. The GHI panel were attracted to the distinctive bubble-wrap decoration making the egg a lovely gift and thought it was a "good mix of milk and dark chocolate".
The Chokablok Billionaires Dynamite Egg, priced £5, won Best for Boys. It scored 78/100 and is studded with crunchy biscuit, chewy toffee and yummy fudge pieces which the judges thought made it perfect for those with a sweet tooth.
With a score of 76/100, Nestle's Milkybar Milkybarn Cow and Egg, priced £4.99, won the Girls, Girls, Girls category. The GHI experts thought it was a simple white chocolate egg with a fun design showcased in great packaging. It won their overall vote because it is an excellent choice for younger children.
Made for Sharing was won by last year's overall winner Tesco. The Tesco Finest Ultimate Belgian Milk Chocolate Egg Topped with Finest Chocolates, priced £15, scored 79/100. The "very attractive design and elegant packaging" and 30 chocolates hidden inside was more than enough to secure the judges votes.
The GHI top ten Easter eggs
1. Asda The Collection Giant Easter Egg £10 - 79/100
2. Tesco Finest Ultimate Belgian Milk Chocolate Egg topped with indulgent Tesco Finest chocolates £15 - 79/100
3. (Tesco) Chocablok Billionaire Dynamite Egg £5 - 78/100
4. Nestle Milkybar Milkybarn £4.99 - 76/100
5. Marks and Spencer's Hello Kitty £6 - 75/100
6. Thornton's Continental £9.99 - 74/100
7. (Tesco) Chokablok Rocky Road £5 - 70/100
8. Nestle Lion bar Egg £5.59 - 70/100
9. (Waitrose) Temper Temper Owl Egg £9 - 67/100
10. Hotel Chocolat's The Eggsibitionist Extra Thick £26 - 62/100